‘Staggering’ Earth Lost 28 Trillion Tonnes Of Ice Due To Global Warming -Insiderfolks, In a startling discovery of the climate crisis, a consortium of British scientists have found that 28 trillion tonnes of ice have melted out of the earth since 1994.

Planet has lost 28 trillion tonnes of ice to global warming over the past 23 years, according to UK scientists.

‘Staggering’ Earth Lost 28 Trillion Tonnes Of Ice Due To Global Warming -Insiderfolks, In a startling discovery of the climate crisis, a consortium of British scientists have found that 28 trillion tonnes of ice have melted out of the earth since 1994.

In a research paper published in the journal Cryosphere Studies, scientists from Leeds and Edinburgh University and University College London researched satellite observations of glaciers, mountains, and ice sheets between 1994 and 2017 to chart the effects of global warming.

‘Staggering’ Earth Lost 28 Trillion Tonnes Of Ice Due To Global Warming -Insiderfolks
Photo by Long Ma on Unsplash

On the basis of the findings, UK scientists have reported that, by the end of the century, the rapid loss of ice sheets and glaciers could increase sea levels to potentially 3 metres.

Speaking to the Guardian, Professor Andy Shepherd, Director of the Leeds University Center for Polar Exploration and Modelling, clarified that any centimetre of sea level increase ensures that nearly one million people are displaced from their homelands.

According to study, a huge depletion of 28 trillion tonnes from the Arctic Oceans, 6.5 trillion tonnes from Antarctic ice shelves, 6.2 trillion tonnes of mountain glaciers, 3.8 trillion tonnes of Greenland ice sheets, 2.5 trillion tonnes of Antarctic ice sheets and 0.9 trillion tonnes of mountain glaciers have been diminished.

It also said, “Well over half (60%) of the ice depletion came from the northern hemisphere and the remaining (40%) came from the southern hemisphere. Since the 1990s, the rate of ice depletion has increased by 57% – from 0.8 to 1.2 trillion tonnes per year.

The polar ice sheet melted at record speed in 2019.

In the meantime, in a related study of global warming, scientists have found that the melting of Greenland’s ice cap, the biggest contributor to rising sea levels, happened at an unprecedented rate in 2019, surpassing the previous peaks by 15%.

In a report published in the journal Nature, it is reported that the rate at which glaciers are melting is ‘unprecedented’ as per records dating back to 1948.

The immediate cause of such a big failure, explained by the researchers, is the high-pressure systems that were blocked in Greenland last summer.

“Not only is the Greenland ice sheet melting, but it’s melting faster and faster,” said Ingo Sasgen, a geoscientist at the Alfred Wegener Institute in Germany.

Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on insiderfolks.com. Catch all the updates from www.insiderfolks.com, Subscribe to our Youtube channel for more latest news updates: http://bit.ly/2neVPFM, Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for the latest news links below.


Connect with insider folks: For the more latest in news and lifestyle visit: http://insiderfolks.com/  Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Insiderfolks/  Twitter: https://twitter.com/InsiderFolks  Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/insider_folks/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like